On Sunday, September 09, 2012 at 3:30 pm the DPS was made aware of a robbery that had occurred on Comstock Avenue, just north of the Manley Fieldhouse on the eastside of the street. The victim who was a person not affiliated with SU was approached by three males, one of whom asked the victim to use his cellphone. When the victim declined the use of his cellphone, one of the males produced a knife and threatened the victim with it. The victim handed the cellphone to one of the suspects who all then fled southbound into Oakwood Cemetery.
DPS asks for your help in identifying the suspects if you were in the vicinity at the time of the incident. For this purpose, the following is the description of the suspects: Suspect #1 male black, thin build, about 16 years of age, wearing braided hair style Suspect # 2: male black about 16 years of age thin build. Suspect # 3 male black thin build, about 16 years of age. Two of the suspects were wearing white t-shirts and blue jeans and the other was wearing a blue t-shirt with light colored pants.
For an interactive map of the incident location, refer to the Google Map link at:
Campus Alerts 2012
If anyone has any information regarding this incident or others, please contact the Syracuse Police Department at (315) 442-5222 or the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety at (315) 443-2224. If you would like to anonymously report NON-EMERGENCY information for DPS, you can use the Silent Witness tool, available at http://publicsafety.syr.edu/html/silent_witness.html
For your safety, please remember...
· After dark, take advantage of the free safety escort services available through the Department of Public Safety. Both walking and shuttle services are available to students, staff, and faculty at SU or SUNY-ESF. Call 443-SAFE (7233) for more information about these services.
· Take advantage of the CENTRO and Caz Limo bus services. Taxi services are also available.
· Walk, bike or jog in groups of three or more, away from bushes, cars, and other objects a suspect could hide behind.
· Be aware of your surroundings: look and listen. Headphones and cell phones can create tunnel vision.
· Travel in well-lit and populated areas.
· Keep porch lights on at night.
· Don’t approach strangers or let them get close to you.
· If you think someone is following you, switch directions or cross the street. Go toward an open business or lighted house.
· Have your house or car keys in hand before you reach your door.
· Know where campus blue light alarms are and how to use them.
· If someone tries to rob you, don’t resist. Give up your property, not your life.
· If you are in a safe place to do so, attempt to get a description of the suspect(s) and any associated vehicles or license plate numbers.
IMMEDIATELY report emergencies or suspicious activities, persons and vehicles.
For Public Safety dial 443-2224 or #78 (from a cell phone); if you are in a situation where you cannot safely make a phone call, send a text message to email@example.com; for Syracuse Police dial 911.
Your quick reporting may help prevent others from becoming victims.
- Department of Public Safety
- 005 Sims Hall
- Phone: 443-2224
- URL: http://publicsafety.syr.edu/students/silent_witness.html